J A Fisher Cars Ltd, trading as Jafvans is committed to the protection of the privacy of all our customers. Your privacy is really important to us and we understand how important it is to you. Our aim is to be as clear and open as possible about what we do with your personal data and why we do it.
Personal data is information about a living individual which is capable of identifying that individual
Processing is anything done with the personal data, including how it is stored, managed, used, updated and kept secure
Data subject is the person about whom personal data is processed
Data controller is the person or organisation who determines the ‘how and what’ of data processing
2. Who we are
J A Fisher Cars Ltd trading as Jafvans is the data controller described in this privacy notice.
That means, we decide how your personal data is processed and for what purposes and that we explain how we do that openly, clearly and fairly.
Jafvans can be contacted at our head office by phone on 020 8864 1999 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The person designated as the data controller at Jafvans is our Managing Director.
3. How do we use your information?
Website: Our website (www.jafvans.co.uk) uses session based cookies to store information about vehicles you require quotes for and information you may enter when booking online. This information is not stored on your computer but on the webserver hosting this website. These session cookies are only available during the time you are on the site and are removed when your browsing session is finished (when you close your online browser).
This website (www.jafvans.co.uk) may from time to time use persistent cookies which are small text files stored on your computer to record your preferences or activity between visits. These cookies do not store personal information about you or your computer and you can clear them at any point by deleting your browser history – for more information about cookies you can visit: www.aboutcookies.org
Our website (www.jafvans.co.uk) does make use of Google Analytics for online visitor tracking – you can read more about cookie privacy and Google Analytics at: http://www.cookielaw.org/google-analytics-eu-cookie-law.aspx
We will use your personal data to:
- Supply you with a quote
- Contact the DVLA to establish your eligibility for hire
- Process the financial transaction
- Perform and manage your contract upon hire
- Report any accidents to our insurance company
- Process payment for additional hire charges that have been incurred, including but not limited to, government/local authority seizing or impounding, parking and traffic infringement penalties, road toll fines and congestion charges.
- Comply with the retention of financial transactions for accounting purposes
4. How we process your personal data
On our website the information stored is captured when an online visitor fills out a booking or enquiry form – this information is stored in an encrypted format on the webserver and also emailed to the relevant pick-up branch (if booking a vehicle) – this information is only used in response to the booking request or enquiry submitted. Customers booking or enquiring online are NOT automatically added to a marketing database and will not be sent unsolicited email marketing without first being asked if they would like to opt in to receive marketing material.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secured server in the UK. Paper contracts which contain information for reporting financial accounting are held in a secure storage space. Any payment transactions are processed through a secure server (HTTPS/SSL) and all sensitive data is encrypted. Credit card details are used for processing payment only.
Jafvans complies with its obligations under GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
5. The Legal Basis For Processing Your Data
We have various scenarios under which we may use your information, and for each have identified a lawful basis, as described below:
- Contract applies:
- If you choose to hire one of our vehicles data processing is necessary to perform and manage the contract.
- Legitimate interest applies:
- Where the contract between us has ended and the rental vehicle has been returned. We will opt you out of all communication and not contact you after the contract has ended unless: there are outstanding issues to be resolved, you contact us, in the event you choose to enter into a new contract with us or if you have requested we contact you at a later date. However, we will retain your contract contact details for internal statistical and reporting purposes.
- Where the contract between us has ended because you broke the terms and conditions of the hire. We will opt you out of all communication and not contact you after the contract has ended; however we may choose to retain your details to prevent future hire and protect our business interests.
- When we share proof of hire which will include personal data where additional charges have been incurred, including but not limited to, government/local authority seizing or impounding, parking and traffic infringement penalties, road toll fines, and congestion charges.
- For good governance and accounting
- Legal obligation applies:
- When you exercise your rights under data protection law and related disclosures.
- Where we are obliged to share personal data with our insurance company in the event of an accident
- For maintaining and reporting financial accounting information for up to 6 years from the end of the tax year in which a financial transaction was processed.
- Consent applies:
- Where you have explicitly consented for us to publish a “Review” that you have written about our service on our website. Your name will be included in the review, along with a profile image you have supplied us. You may withdraw your consent at any time and we will remove your review from our website.
6. Sharing Your Personal Data
The information we hold about you will be treated as strictly confidential and we will only share your data with third parties with your prior consent, or unless required to do so by law.
We will share proof of hire which will include personal data where additional charges have been incurred, including but not limited to, government/local authority seizing or impounding, parking and traffic infringement penalties, road toll fines, and congestion charges.
7. How Long We Keep Your Personal Data
We keep data in accordance with the guidance set out by the GDPR. We endeavour to maintain only data that is relevant, accurate and up to date. You are responsible for keeping account contact and billing contact up to date. We have internal processes to periodically review the data we hold and delete data that is no longer relevant to our purpose for processing.
8. Your Rights and Your Personal Data
Unless subject to an exemption under GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
1. The right to request a copy of your personal data which Jafvans holds about you
2. The right to request that Jafvans corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date
3. The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Jafvans to retain such data (usually 6 years – as per section 5)
4. The right to withdraw your consent and we will stop using your personal information for the purpose for which consent was given.
5. The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing
6. The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office
10. Further Processing
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice. This will explain the new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
11. Contact Details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints please in the first instance contact our head office by email or by letter. Our response will be sent within 4 weeks as per guidelines.
J A Fisher Cars Ltd Head Office
400 Northolt Road